The Purpose of DECA Competition
DECA offers a comprehensive program of competitive events based on the occupational goals of its student membership and on the activities of chapters in high schools and postsecondary institutions. Competitive events offered by DECA are replicated at the state level as well as at the chapter level.
The purposes of DECA’s competitive events are:
- to contribute to the development of skills necessary for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality, management and entrepreneurship
- to evaluate student achievement of these skills through careful measurement devices (performance indicators)
- to provide opportunities for student and team recognition
- to provide constructive avenues for individual or team expression, initiative and creativity
- to motivate students to assume responsibility for self-improvement and self-discipline
- to provide a vehicle for students to demonstrate (via performance indicators) their acquired skills through individual or team activities
- to assist students in acquiring a realistic self-concept through individual or team activities
- to help students participate in an environment of cooperation and competition
- to provide visibility for the educational goals and objectives of marketing, finance, hospitality, management and entrepreneurship education
DECA’s competitive events are congruent with sound educational practices and enhance educational purposes. Therefore, DECA competitive events are learning activities designed to evaluate students’ development of essential skills necessary for entry or advancement in the business world. The DECA Competency Based Competitive Events Program facilitates effective integration of DECA as an integral component of the total instructional program.
To do this, competitive events are designed to enable students to engage in activities that will extend their interests and skills for careers in their career cluster and measure via performance indicators the degree to which skills have already been acquired. In effect, the competitive events meet the goals of curriculum by demonstrating occupational proficiency in specific career clusters.
BACK to Information on Being a DECA Judge